My First Day Off

I woke up today and it was my first day off from the kids. So naturally I spent three hours in the shower, did my hair and nails & ate some fruit by the pool... in an alternate universe! Actually I woke up and remembered that one of my kids was in the infirmary and needed clean clothes for the morning, one of my other kids needed socks for the hike and another kid needed to STOP slamming the door in the morning. And then I had to confiscate an aerosol from Mr I-Slam-Dorrs-At-6am and instruct two counsellors (one of whom has been at camp for THREE YEARS) how to deal with the kid who had wet his bed last night.

I realised then, that I needed to get out of camp asap.

Don't get me wrong, camp is great. I have an awesome co-counsellor and my cabin of (nine) kids goes to sleep before 9.30pm every night (a MIRACLE!) But camp is a bit overwhelming at the moment. Cause I might be being offered a promotion to Program Director soon. Which is something I hadnt even thought about before and is freaking me out (mostly in a good way). My class is going well but it takes SO MUCH ENERGY and lots of counsellors are in the first stages of oh-my-god-i-didnt-know-kids-could-be-this-tiring fatigue, so I have to be SUPER energetic to make up for it. And it KEEPS RAINING!! Right now I am boiling and the sun is out. I anticipate a thunderstorm tonight as payback.

We have no middle ground with the weather right now!

And some hilarious (to me) things have happened, like catching a counsellor using his drinking water on a hike to clean his sneakers (hahaha! that is sooo New York!) and a counsellor talent show that involved large men, short shorts and lots of athletic gyrating!! (it was before the kids arrived!!) and these are the things that make camp what it is (stupid and weird - just kidding!). But my voice is going cause I keep shouting every instruction and hyping things up in drama class, so I NEEDED todays break and also I needed the medicinal properties of Friendly's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream Sundae.

Which I am going to go get now. :D Mmmmmmm....

p.s. I got the Linguistic Prize for this year apparently! Who'd of thunk it???

4 comments:

Anastasia said...

"....and another kid needed to STOP slamming the door in the morning. And then I had to confiscate an aerosol from Mr I-Slam-Dorrs-At-6am and instruct two counsellors (one of whom has been at camp for THREE YEARS) how to deal with the kid who had wet his bed last night."

Hahaha, that was epic.

Congrats on your prize thing.

Missing you loads, got your letter, writting 50-odd pages back. I kid I kid, okies, maybe 3..... :P
Love you loads.

Ana xx

Buddleia said...

Hey! Congratulations on getting the linguistics prize!...and a promotion! And icecream (I saved the best til last)!

Great to hear things are stupid and weird! Well, just great to hear how things are going in general.

Keep it up, woman. Sounds like they need you out there.

Missing and loving you from Cambridge,

Maddy XXXX

mandy said...

OMG ITS TAKEN ME THIS LONG TO FIND THE BLOG. who'd have thought it would simply be on your facebook profile.

well i officially miss you. america is too far away. loving the whole bed wetting stuff, i have that to come next week with my english version of what you're doing. lets hope this year there's no poo throwing incidents for me and no rock throwing incidents for you.

are you checking facebook if i was to message there my dear?

was gonna say as of next week contact will be restricted to minimum for a month as im on camp but seeing as i've been pretty rubbish so far im sure it can't get much worse.

love you lots, stay safe ;-) speak soon

mandy xxxx

Anonymous said...

ok ignore the questions about what u got promoted to on the other blog page lol cos i just read this one...

congrats on that!! and on the award! sounds like u r making an amazing impression in true ngkane style =0

glad its all going well, if not a tiny bit stressful lol
love charlie xxxxx

Post a Comment